The main concern of Tobacco Control is always to offer a forum for research, analysis, commentary, and debate on policies, programmes, and methods which can be prone to further the objectives of a tobacco control policy that is comprehensive. The introduction should indicate why the research reported or issues discussed are important in terms of controlling tobacco use, and the discussion section should include an analysis of how the research reported contributes to tobacco control objectives in papers submitted for review.
Documents firmly anchored to a strategic policy and programme context are more inclined to be accepted for book. Because the log seeks to attain a readership that is international writers should think about whether their intended submissions target problems or themes, that are apt to be of great interest to scientists employed in other countries. Extremely parochial dilemmas, that incorporate few classes for tobacco control policy outside a paper’s local context, are not likely to be provided with high priority. The manuscripts editors will generally speaking perhaps perhaps perhaps not offer priority that is high:
- Studies of smoking cigarettes prevalence and its particular correlates. They are most suitable to journals that are national. Few people living outside a national nation have an interest in whether that nation has 30% or 35% of cigarette cigarette smokers.
- Knowledge, attitudes, behaviour (KAB) studies of specific populace groups or health care professionals. Once more, they are better suited to national journals or even to wellness expert speciality journals. Few individuals in other countries will tend to be thinking about (for instance) whether nurses in a hospital that is regional thinking about helping patients quit. Nationwide studies, and the ones using such studies into original areas are of more interest.
- Reports that evoke unanimous “so what?” responses from the editors. They are documents with findings that appear to hold no obvious value for changing policy or training in tobacco control. They frequently display methodological finery, but don’t take us anywhere crucial or interesting.
- Advice pieces where in fact the viewpoints are unoriginal, badly argued, naive or neglect for essential ethical dilemmas in favour of sloganeering.
- Documents that show the writers have not exposed Tobacco Control nor comprehend its main give attention to tobacco control in place of on tobacco and its own usage and wellness effects. we have been thinking about such documents, but as long as their writers address the implications of the findings for tobacco control.
- Papers with glaringly apparent, deadly methodological issues.
- Documents on topics that need extremely technical or discipline-specific language not likely to be grasped because of the greater part of visitors.
- Documents that are replications of currently well-established findings or provide little new information.
- Neighborhood studies in which the implications for the journal’s international market are confusing.
- Reports written for governments or regional wellness authorities that some body thought could be offered an instant make-over and presented as a log paper.
Tobacco Control adheres to your greatest criteria concerning its editorial policies on book ethics, medical misconduct, permission and peer review criteria. To look at all BMJ Journal policies please relate to the BMJ Author Hub policies web web page.
Articles are posted under a licence that is exclusive non-exclusive licence for British Crown workers or where BMJ has agreed CC BY is applicable. For people authorities officers or employees acting included in their formal duties, the terms are as previously mentioned prior to our licence terms. Writers or their employers retain copyright. Start access articles may be reused underneath the regards to the appropriate innovative Commons licence to facilitate reuse regarding the content; please relate to the Tobacco Control Author Licence for the applicable Creative Commons licences”.
Tobacco industry funded work
Tobacco Control will likely not think about for book documents work that is reporting, in entire or perhaps in part, by way of a tobacco business or tobacco industry company. Nor will the consider that is journal by authors who accept tobacco industry capital, including capital for research expenses, for many or section of any author’s income, or any other types of individual remuneration. For more info, please check this out editorial providing the thinking behind the journal’s policy. Failure to declare interests that are competing distribution, or whenever a write-up is commissioned, may result in instant rejection regarding the paper. In case a interest that is competing to light after book, Tobacco Control will issue an official modification to or retraction for the entire paper, as appropriate.
Material previously published online
Tobacco Control is prepared to give consideration to documents based wholly or perhaps in part on product previously posted on line. Nonetheless writers must look into an editorial about this topic: Prior book online: brand new journal policy. The editor keeps the right that is customary make modifications any way essay helper you like and when essential to reduce, utilizing the approval regarding the author(s), material accepted for publication. Any written or material that is illustrative happens to be posted somewhere else should be duly recognized and associated with the penned consent regarding the copyright owner (this might be the publisher as opposed to the writer).
Under special circumstances where a paper’s findings have actually instantly appropriate policy implications warranting urgent book, manuscripts might be fast tracked prior to the normal queue of documents. If you feel that you have actually good factors why it is real for the paper, please information these in an employment cover letter, describing the necessity of work for the industry while the explanation you’re feeling it’s of adequate value to be managed urgently. This demand will not guarantee that the editors will concur, and just a couple of papers per year are going to be expedited with this foundation, nonetheless it might help the editors to judge the paper’s value within the context that is current.
Formatting, terms and revised manuscripts
Documents on electric cigarettes should utilize the term cigarettes that are‘electronic on very very first use, after which it the abbreviation ‘e-cigarettes’ may be applied. Documents on other smoking distribution systems may continue steadily to make use of the word ‘electronic smoking distribution systems’ accompanied by the abbreviation ‘ENDS’ after very very very first usage.
Whenever uploading a revised manuscript, writers also needs to add a split manuscript file showcasing the tracked changes to exhibit the editors the real difference through the past variation. The monitored modifications document should always be uploaded as a supplementary file.
Analysis gu > that is reporting
BMJ calls for compliance towards the following reporting directions. Please upload the appropriate finished list for the submission to your study type, and label it “Research checklist”. If no appropriate list is present for the study kind, this is suggested in the distribution kind.
CONSORT statement – necessary for all randomised managed studies
PRISMA statement – necessary for all systematic reviews
EVEREST statement – Required for many financial evaluations
STARD statement – Required for many research that is diagnostic
STROBE statement – Required for all observational studies
SQUIRE statement – Required for many quality enhancement studies
Guidance and kinds are available from EQUATOR.
We welcome video clip abstracts to come with accepted research articles. These enable authors to physically talk through their work beyond the limitations of a formal article to improve the user’s understanding. Note you to consider submitting a video abstract until your paper has been accepted that we will not ask. Please don’t attempt to upload a video clip abstract upon initial distribution of the manuscript.
There are numerous tutorials online which could guide the creation of a video clip abstract, using commonly and sometimes easily available computer software. Windows film Maker and Apple iMovie would be the most common examples. Types of video clip abstracts can be obtained from The BMJ. Listed here are a few recommendations for making a video clip abstract. Writers could also desire to ask their institution’s press/media workplace for support.
- Video abstracts must not keep going longer than 4 mins.
- This content and concentrate for the movie must connect straight to the scholarly research which has been accepted for book, and really should perhaps not stray beyond the information. We suggest itself i.e. briefly outline the background/context of the study, present your research objective, outline the methods used, present the key results and then discuss the implications of the outcomes that you follow the same structure as the paper.
- The presentation and content of this movie must be in a method plus in terms which is understandable and available to an over-all audience that is medical. The language that is main be English, but we welcome subtitles in another language. Please avoid jargon that’ll not be acquainted to an extensive audience that is medical nor make use of abbreviations.
- Writers often talk straight into the digital digital camera and/or provide a slideshow, but we enable the utilization of other appropriate artistic and material that is audiosuch as for example animations, movies, still photographs, figures, infographics). Should you want to utilize product from formerly published work or off their sources, please obtain the appropriate permissions through the publisher that is relevant copyright owner.